Thursday, April 1, 2010

it is a sad day....

AS most of you know, Paul's died this morning at around 4:00am...he had gotten up to use the bathroom around 2:00am and was almost back to his bed when he fell on the floor and was unresponsive...Ann called 911 and they began to adminster CPR...he was transported to Piedmont...they were able to get a pulse and heartbeat but he had 'been down' for 40 minutes or so and there was concern of brain damage...they were unable to keep his pulse and heartbeat and we all realized that it was just 'his time'...I take comfort in that Ann and I were with him when he took his final breathe as he didn't want to die alone...he fought long and hard and coming back this time was just more than his condition would allow him...though his determination never waivered even last evening before I left, he told me that maybe the therapists could help him regain his strength and getting him feeling better.

Paul's last day was spent going to see Dr. Woodson and afterwards, asked to be driven by some of the properties he owned...kind of take a ride through his 'beloved' Atlanta that he was instrumental in developing the skyline of (I know that's not good English but you all just please bear with me). Once they returned home he had some soup...then after I arrived, Ann went to get him a 'Steak n' Shake' milkshake (his very favorite)...he and I chatted our 'usual chat'...tonight it was about Obama's health care plan which was a loaded question...I gave my opinions then I bounced off him the quote I had received to have my yard cut, etc. and told him that he needed to get himself better so he could come see my new little house...that will never happen and he would be so proud.....I realize I am rambling here a little...I'm sorry...he seemed very fidgety while I was there first wanting to sit in the chair then get back in bed and sit up....'sitting up' seemed to be key yesterday as we heard the same comments from Ernestine...

After us all talking during the course of today, we have come to realize that Paul believed his time was near, though he never waivered with his determination...we know that he died peacefully...and that he is in Heaven...

We have made his funeral arrangements....many of you may not know that Paul's wish was to be creamated...just a few days ago Ann asked if that was 'really still his wish' and he told her "I've been telling you that ever since I first met you' so his ashes will be interred at a later date. On Monday, April 5th at 11:00am we will have a Memorial Service at HM Patterson & Son's on Allen Road in Sandy Springs...we will be there to receive family and friends at 10:00am...

We are holding up as well as can be expected...finalizing the arrangements was a great relief...we are good for now with food, etc. The days ahead will be difficult but we will get through...it would make Paul furious if we didn't....

Your continued prayers are so welcomed, appreciated and what we all need most right now....I must say that it has been a sincere privilege to write these updates about Paul and obviously regretted writing this one but knew it would happen one day...our heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you.

Love, Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment